Tuesday, August 3, 2010

And the rain keeps on falling...

I woke up last Friday to the radio DJ saying he was filling in for the regular guy who was at home with a flooded basement. Still half-asleep, this made me remember that I had been woken in the middle of the night by a really loud thunderstorm. The next thought I had was, "I should go check my basement." I haven't had any water come in before, but this summer has been extremely rainy. As the rain still came down outside, I walked downstairs and made a loop around the basement. I found a little puddle of water at the base of my chimney and mopped that up with a towel. I thought, "Hey, that's not so bad." Then I continued around through the laundry room- nothing there. Upon walking through the family room, I felt a certain squish beneath my feet. I think the rain had found its way in through one of my basement windows and covered about 1/4 of the room's carpet. So, I got out the shop vac, pulled back the carpet and went to work. Fortunately, I was able to get a lot of the water vacuumed up and fans and a dehumidifier running to dry things out. My very kind sister also popped her two boys in the car to bring over a fan and help out where she could. It's dry now and I'm hoping we don't get another 6"+ rainfall event. I know it could have caused a lot more damage as there are hundreds if not thousands of people in the area still cleaning up from water damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment