Thursday, September 19, 2013

Stuff

I listened to a podcast yesterday with Jeff Shinabarger.  He was talking about this book.  It made me stop and think (again) about the amount of stuff I have and why.  I like good deals, so I buy things I may not really need.  I develop attachments and memories associated with things, so I keep them.  This discussion reminded me that I am wealthier than most to be able to do this.  It gave me an urge to purge my attic and closets.  I recently listened to Candy Chang speak at a conference.  She designed door hangers which people could hang outside to let their neighbors know what items they might have to share (i.e. a ladder) or what things they might need to borrow.  This may work better in apartments than single family home neighborhoods, but I like the idea of our stuff bringing people together rather than isolating us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment